You need to import Bob’s public key into your keyring at least once.
How do we do this?
It’s a bit of pain. But once it’s done it’s done.
1. Copy the public key you want to import into notepad. Save it to some appropriately named file.
For example, if it’s Bob’s public key, save it as ‘bob.asc’.
2. In Kleopatra, click the ‘import certificates’ button near the top left.
3. Find the file you just saved. (Yes, the extension matters, it wants it to be .asc)
4. Click OK.
You’re not quite done. You need to set the trust level.
1. Right click on the certificate you’ve just imported, select Change Owner Trust.
2. Select ‘I believe checks are very accurate’.
Outstanding! Now you’ve got Bob’s public key, you shouldn’t ever need to do that again for Bob.
To verify that a comment is actually from Bob,
1. Copy his signed comment into the clipboard.
2. Alt Tab to Kleopatra or open it if it’s not already up.
3. Click ‘clipboard’
4. Click ‘decrypt/verify’
5. A green dialog saying ‘Signed By’ will pop up if it’s REALLY signed by Bob.
IT’s a red dialog saying ‘Invalid Signature’ if it’s a forgery.
All there is to it!